Thursday, June 11, 2015

Can we just find a balance between character and plot?

I can't manage to find a book that isn't unbalanced lately. These authors are putting so much detail and work into their stories, but in doing so, they're somehow forgetting about the characters. How? Well, I'm not entirely sure. Obviously, books can be plot driven and that's fine. But it's generally apparent when it is, which brings me to my point.

All the detail in the world will not make up for poor character development. If your character has the personality of a box of rocks, it's going to take away from all that work you put into world-building. I've read reviews on books by authors guilty of this and I'm not the only one feeling this issue. Of course, it's probably not intentional. Which I guess leaves me with saying (yet again) find some character development sheets. Fill them out for every important character and don't put more into a side character than you do the main. The main character, if the story is character driven is-- as the title would suggest-- the driving force.

Detail is great. Always work on detail, but don't slight the characters while you're at it. It could most definitely be a problem that drives readers away.

No comments:

Post a Comment